Am I alone in my utter contempt for that new Cadillac commercial?
  • OK, I'm not a Cadillac guy - maybe I'm not old enough, whatever, but I do respect the brand. That television commercial I'm seeing while watching the Olympics, though, fills me with an uncomfortable combination of nausea and rage.

You know the one... some utterly self-satisfied piece of crap walking around extolling the virtues of hard work (presumably so that one can afford to buy a Caddy)?

I want to see a follow up commercial from Ford, VW, Audi, BMW or whoever... in which that creepy bastard gets run off the road (preferably off a cliff) and explodes in a hideous fireball of self-satisfaction.

• No, you aren't alone. It's awful! (And I saw it via a Facebook post where a lot of other people were generally feeling the same way about it.)
  • N'est pas? Wink. Ugh.
  • You're not alone.., I just saw it for the first time and I don't think I've ever seen an ad that disgusted me more. But I guess they know their market and it's not me.
  • To me it seemed like it needed to be more tongue-in-cheek to be funny, but that would have defeated the purpose. It made me uneasy to say the least.

But I guarantee it won't hurt their sales.
  • Wow. Talk about arrogance. And to air it during the Olympics... sheesh. So much for international fellowship.
  • N'est pas? Wink. Ugh.

That would be a perfect time for one of those ultra-slow-motion highspeed cameras... just as the sniper's bullet hits the guy's forehead.

• All I could think after watching that commercial was that I'd way rather take the month of August off work than buy that stupid car.
  • PeggyC said:

Wow. Talk about arrogance. And to air it during the Olympics... sheesh. So much for international fellowship.

And that little crack about the moon rover with the keys in it? I'm fairly certain that China will walk on the moon before the US goes back (if we ever do).
  • I had a similar reaction when I saw it. Arrogant doesn't begin to describe it.
  • amandacat said:

All I could think after watching that commercial was that I'd way rather take the month of August off work than buy that stupid car.

And strolling home after work and stopping by a cafe sounds pretty OK to me as well.

Hate that guy. Hate him!
  • How many of you were planning to buy a Cadillac, but decided *not* to buy a Cadillac after seeing that ad?

How many arrogant rich pricks saw that ad and said, "Fist pump, bro!" and possibly considered a Cadillac vs another Mercedes or BMW?

Advertising is all about targeting. I wager none of you were targets, and thus, your opinion is moot.
    Post edited by marcsiry at 2014-02-17 20:52:31
  • Funny how that actor seems to always play chilly creeps. I wonder if Cadillac gave that any thought when he was cast to do the ad?
  • I drool over the idea of August off. I'll gladly keep driving my 2002 car for it! Isn't that guy a pretty well-known actor ( with now grey or blond hair)?
  • This is why I sometimes love MOL. Caddy commercial repulsive. Not crazy about the
    Chevrolet Tahoe commercial either.
  • I drool over the idea of the European attitude of "working to live." I'll happily do without the Cadillac if it means "living to work" in the grand American tradition.
  • He is a well known character actor. I recognized him as Dum Dum Dugan from the first Captain America movie, but he's been in a crapload of stuff.
  • And yes, that actor is ubiquitous on TV. He played the creepy husband of Edie Britt on Desperate Housewives in one of the last few seasons. He also played a criminal in Justified a year or two ago. He specializes in psychopaths.
  • That is my impression of that actor. So what is Cadillac saying???????
  • This guy thinks it's great

• Okay, neal McDonough. Yep, character actor. I thought he was "bigger". I think he reminded me of Ray Liotta or someone with more clout. He definitely can't pull it off and he looks silly in his shorts. Maybe Clooney could have pulled it off but that's about it.
    Post edited by conandrob240 at 2014-02-17 21:14:14
  • Didn't see anything particularly outrageous about it.

Cadillac wants to regain its platinum status in the U.S., and become more global. Not sure if this ad helps accomplish this, but I don't see the epic fail that some others do. I also think it's the first new tv ad under a new marketing head, sometimes it takes time to find the right voice.
  • Empty arrogance is always unsettling. Like Saddam's radio announcer during the First Gulf War.

Given Cadillac's history of exploiting its brand name with inferior products, I felt downright insulted.
  • For me, it was about the guy himself not carrying the whole "cool" thing. If you are going to be arrogant and obnoxious back it up with a guy who deserves to be arrogant. Oh, yeah, and a product worth bragging about
  • I thought it was amusing enough, and waaaay less annoying than most of the other commercials NBC has been overplaying tonight, especially the one with the greedy babysitter kid, which I think has a very faint vibe of creepiness about it.
  • The car is so ugly the agency had to contrive a way to not show it for as long as possible.
  • I took it as a parody and caricature and as such thought it was pretty funny. I mean he is so over the top and the way he instantly changes into the suit - it made me laugh.

• Bill Gates, the Wright brothers, Les Paul, Ali: did they need a government bailout?
  • case said:

I want to see a follow up commercial from Ford, VW, Audi, BMW or whoever... in which that creepy bastard gets run off the road (preferably off a cliff) and explodes in a hideous fireball of self-satisfaction.

LOL.

There is no substitute. :-D
  • Bad remake of the old spice commercial. Smells like cheap colone.
  • marcsiry said:

How many arrogant rich pricks saw that ad and said, "Fist pump, bro!" and possibly considered a Cadillac vs another Mercedes or BMW?

True BMW aficionados would never consider a Mercedes or a Cadillac. We drive BMW because they are great to drive as opposed to great to ride in. (yeah yeah, that ended in a preposition)

I once had someone ask me if I'd rather date a guy with a beat up old Honda or a Mercedes. My answer was the Honda, because that just indicated lack of money, the Mercedes means you have money but lack the joy of driving.

But to get back on topic, the commercial is horrible, arrogant, and jingoistic.
  • wnb said:

I took it as a parody and caricature and as such thought it was pretty funny. I mean he is so over the top and the way he instantly changes into the suit - it made me laugh.

That's not a parody.

• nan said:

Bad remake of the old spice commercial. Smells like cheap colone.

cheap clone
  • On the positive side, it is nice to see an advert for an electric drive vehicle that doesn't focus on fuel economy or the environment.
  • Wasn't planning on ever buying a Cadillac before I saw the commercial. Now I'm sure I'll never buy one.
  • It never occurred to me until reading some of these posts that it wasn't a parody -- isn't the actor even making fun of himself as he walks through the rooms? I have to admit, though, I have only seen it once, so will have to see if I catch it again. I also thought it was a way of saying, "See? Here I am, a successful, happy suburban dad, and even I care about the environment, which you will learn when you watch me plug in my car." I sort of saw the whole commercial as a take-off on the guy (beer commercial? after shave?) who is surrounded by the bevy of beauties as he brags about his over-the-top accomplishments, or the cable TV ads in which the guy has a pet giraffe.

• It never occurred to me to take this ad seriously. As a spoof / joke / parody ad, it's actually pretty damn funny.
  • First I thought the ad was obnoxious (men who brag about the cars they own generally are). But I think actor is actually having fun, so I'm enjoying the ad now. It really is tongue and cheek, and I give Cadillac some credits for entertainment value.
  • That Fox commentator is so much worse than the actor and the writer. Shallow, spiteful, and misinformed.
  • That Fox commentator is so much worse than the actor and the writer. Shallow, spiteful, and misinformed.

+1 He was a total idiot.
  • if it is a tongue in cheek ad, then it is actually very well done!
  • I liked it alot. Reminded me a lot of Dennis O'leary , over the top patriotism humor. I see it more as hyperbole.
  • Seems to me the script went wrong some where. In the length of time that they have in that commercial, they should make sure people get it. I did wonder if there was parody intended, but by the time I have that thought, the commercial is over. I never found it funny.
    Post edited by gerryl at 2014-02-18 09:58:47
  • wnb said:

It never occurred to me to take this ad seriously. As a spoof / joke / parody ad, it's actually pretty damn funny.

I think it is a joke, but the question is a joke on whom.

If this guy works so hard and is so successful why doesn't he have a Rolls or a Bentley?
  • OK, I looked at it again. this time I could see it as a parody. I am not sure this will be effective for Cadillac. Who are they targeting?
  • Crappy branding, doesn't engage the audience per se, and if it was indeed parody, it wasn't really funny.

I like nice cars as much as the next person, but I don't judge people for what they drive. A beat-up Honda doesn't mean "lack of money" (one of the dumbest things I've seen recently), it just means the person isn't willing to sink a ton of money into a car. Does anyone here know someone who drives a luxury car, and is up to his eyeballs in debt?

That commercial was irritating. Pretty to look at, but condescending and almost jingoistic.
  • Haven't seen this one yet. I guess I don't watch the upmarket channels. LOL

However, their old add for the Cadillac SUV has always gotten on my nerves. The woman who is supposed to be distracting a father dropping off his kid is barely human looking, which may be to emphasis the crossover. Plus, "Sadies Mom has it really going on" is driving me crazy.
  • Like others have said I see a parody, but at $76K, who is the target.

I keep getting a picture in my head of Don Draper pushing this ad idea to GM execs.... in '67 :-)
  • I'm not seeing the parody value here - I mean.... "wow, that guy really makes Cadillac owners look like douchebags - I'd better go buy one!"

Ah well...

FOR SALE

brother color 3 in one printer - $75

Beautiful Moving Sale in Summit (87 Woodland Avenue) - See pictures on links in ad on Craigs list

Treadmill Exerciser - $275.00 or best offer

SOFA & Loevseat- Bernhardt - $250 OBO

3 Piece Authentic Italian Marble Contemporary : Beige, Coffee / Cocktail Table - $175 or BEST OFFER!!

Rentals

furnished house short term sublet - 2500 month

JOB MARKET

Help Wanted

Babysitter 31

Cleaning Services 5

Elderly Care 5

Nanny 51

Office Work 9

Other 24

Employment Wanted

Babysitter 29